Friday, April 18, 2008

Come on Eileen...its 80s music time

This is by far the hardest 80s day for me. There are just so many 80s bands to choose from and it is so hard to pick. So let's just get the big hair bands out of the way. 

 Pour Some Sugar on Me, Girls, Girls, Girls, and Livin' on a Prayer...if only we could forget!
OK so the big hair bands really came out of the late 70s heavy metal bands, you have Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Quiet Riot, AC/DC , Alice Cooper, and I wish we could just forget about KISS but we can't. Sorry. Out of all this glam rock of the 70s came the 80s big hair bands. To my little "I am not a heavy metal fan" ears there seems to be little difference except of less make-up more AquaNet and maybe a power ballad or two ( i want to know what love is.)  So it seems to this girl that the major 80s hair band icons are as follows. Van Halen, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, White Snake, Poison, Guns N Roses, Skid Row, and last but not least Mr. Jon Bon Jovi. Maybe we will but Joan Jett and Heart here too. Now if only Headbangers Ball was still on t.v.....
Personal favorite: Aerosmith's Ragdoll
Here are the big hair youtube selections watch if you like otherwise let's just move on.





OK now that we have that out of our system. 

Do you really want to hurt me, Tainted Love, Take On Me, 
Now we have come to my  favorite: New Wave (you know synthesizers (its not a KEYBOARD), sing and dance all around to music, a bit post punk, but more pop...although I do like me some Punk as well). So here we have Flock of Seagulls, The Cure (i know they could be punk too), Eurythmics, Culture Club, Soft Cell, a-ha, Pet Shop Boys. I think this genre more than any other is what the 80s is known for and when you think 80s you tend to think machine sound with a synthesizer and some florescent articles of clothing on people wearing top hats. Or at least I do. 





bitchin' camaro, make a bird house in your soul (1989 thank you), blister in the sun
OK now what to do about "College Rock" or the 90s Alternative Rock. So in 1986 MTV debuted 120 minutes which proudly played the indie/underground/post punk not making it on Casey Kasem's Top 40. This is what gave way to what in my humble opinion is the greatest music ever...90s "alternative/grunge," but we all know it is not really all that alternative" rock. So these would be They Might Be Giants, Violent  Femmes, REM, Butthole Surfers, and (I do love) Sonic Youth. Oh, and I am putting the Dead Milkmen here as well. 


Its Tricky, La Di Da Di 
The Golden Age of Hip Hop (Yo MTV RAPS) Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, and LL Cool J  are the most iconic of this group and like Hip Hop today was constantly changing. However, this genre was started by Afrika Bambaataa. The one group that sticks out in my mind here is the Fat Boys, because they could make crazy noises come out of their mouths. oh, and the breakdancing that goes with Hip Hop. Really, that. is. cool. 


Brass Monkey, Girls, Fight For Your Right (to Party), Hey Ladies
the band that I can't fit into anything: The Beastie Boys. OK so they were sort of punk, sort of hard rock (fight for your right to party) they are instrumental, they are hip hop, they got some drum machines and synthesizers going. Either way they are awesome and I love them and they made it in the 80s. 'nuff said. Watch the video.



 Now for the ICONS. 
Madonna, Michael Jackson, Billy Idol, U2 (mmm Bono)Cher (um, Yikes!) Phil Collins, Cyndi Lauper, Depeche Mode, INXS, Huey Lewis and the News, Janet Jackson, Prince, yep I'm throwing in Debbi Gibson, Peter Gabriel, Police, Bruce Springsteen, Robert Palmer, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder (i just called to say i love you was soo big) and George Michael. There is an incomplete list. These people were HUGE some still are, some not so much and some are living in Dubai.







Like I said music is the hardest to do because there is just so much of it and people are oddly territorial and personal about music, but I  hope you enjoyed the clips.  Thankfully, we've already covered music in the movies.
 
80s trivia: who's number is 867-5309?

below is a "I heart the 80s music" compilation


and just for you dad;

5 comments:

The Manny said...

I am going to go with Gertrude. Yep, I do believe the song was 867-5309, Gertude.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inclusion. Manny - you have toooooo much time on your hands.
Dad

EatPlayLove said...

I don't know, "YOU'RE NOT ANYWHERE, I CAN'T FIND YOU!" No, really... did you get the blog bling?

love2cook said...

Duran Duran was my personal favorite in the mid 80s. The later 80s music for me was the cure, new order, inxs, U2. I still love all of that music. So nostalgic! Great job on the 80s week. I loved reading it!

OHmommy said...

i puffy heart the 80s


who could ever forget 867 5309?