Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Its the eye of the tiger...80s movies

(note: there are lots of Youtube clips, sorry if it took 20 minutes to load the page, but click on them anyway...it sooooooooo fun) 

There are just WAY too many movies from the 80s to possibly talk about them all. But what I have noticed is the iconic one have theme music, making them oh so much more memorable two (yes gasp! two) decades later. Granted there are many just plain strange 80s movies, such as these three (Big Trouble in Little China...and yes Manny I know there is a South Park about that movie, Strange Brew, and Space Balls), and others that don't have theme music but are just as iconic (ET, Goonies, Gremlins) But the one's with nice youtube clips that I can sing and dance to are way more fun. 



Cold War Themes: Top Gun is my personal guilty pleasure. I still watch it. I still drool and I mean wipe spit from the side of mouth while dreamy eyed look on face drool during the "volleyball scene." When I was eight and this pleasant film came out I remember my good friend Monica telling me "that this was Kelly (her sister) and long forgotten boyfriend's name song" while hearing Take My Breath Away on the radio; and at eight that seemed like the best love song ever. And maybe that is why i found that man above so attractive.  Stripes is another great Cold War movie. 


Dancing: Footloose, ok the premise of the movie is a little off, a town that outlaws dancing?....but good 'ol Kevin Bacon can change all that. Flashdance was another crazy dance movie, as was Dirty Dancing (it was also a personal favorite).







Beat 'em Up: Who doesn't love Ralph Macchio in The Karate Kid, he is so dorky and finally beat up the bully and gets the girl. Or ALL OF THE Rocky movies, I mean Sylvester Stallone is so eloquent. Another great Stallone film...Rambo





Teen movies: The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, Pretty in Pink, Say Anything, Can't Buy Me Love (with a very young McDreamy) and  more of an actual coming of age movie Stand By Me




Talk about theme song: Ghostbusters I and II (II not so good) but that song will get lodged in your head for days...I ain't afraid of no ghost...




Then we have your remembering past people/eras movies: La Bamba (another favorite), Good Morning Vietnam, Platoon, Great Balls of Fire, and I am going to put  all three of the Back to the Future movies here.  ah doc. and marty. oh, and I guess all of the Indiana Jones movies too they were set before the 80s. Oh and speaking of Michael J. Fox, remember Teen Wolf?

and lastly: the horror genre with Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and  Halloween being the most noteworthy.

and  I know that the Stars Movies, Star Trek, and Superman movies had movies in the 80s, but they just seem so, um, 70s. 

So here are my childhood favorites (aside from those mentioned above) 
1. Flight of the Navigator
2. Annie
3. Adventures in Babysitting
4. Princess Bride
5. Coming to America (oddly enough we were allowed to watch Eddie Murphy)
6. Never Ending Story
7. Harry and Hendersons
8. PeeWee's Big Adventure




p.s. "So it's sorta social. Demented and sad, but social."

What movie is that quote from and what is demented and sad?






2 comments:

EatPlayLove said...

Breakfast Club. (insert the Manny's reasoning for why, I am sure he knows, I'll put a pint on it). I thought at first it was Emilio's quote, but now I think it's Judd's. I can't quite remember.

I love the 80's movies..Hands down, the teen section has to be my favorite. I had a hard time picking one in the vote!

The Great Trashheap...I mean Manny, naaaa. said...

I shall continue to spout my massive amount of 80s movie knowledge. I watched way too much TV and movies. John Bender (Judd) said the quote, it was regarding Brian's (Michael-Hall) physics club and the fact that they talk about physics and the properties of physics. I will take a pint of Guiness thank you, preferably one with a nifty shamrock drawn in the foam.
South Park episode about Big Trouble in Little China, civilization has reached its zenith.