Thursday, May 29, 2008

and then we saw this really cool arch...


Sorry this has taken me so long to write. I ended up getting a nasty head cold, have the morning queasies, and in pure JennieFamily fashion took the kids to urgent care. Well, really just girl baby, she fell off a chair and busted open her chin and lip. She was thrilled to be back at urgent care because we had forgotten to check it out in Moab.

While checking the weather before our trip to the desert I noticed something odd, it was to be 65-75 degrees with a 40% chance of rain. Now, I have lived in the Mojave and have noticed that the good 'ol weather service just throws in chances of rain to make people who live in the desert happy. "Did you hear, Fred, there is a 40% chance of rain today. I am so excited I will talk of nothing else." So I packed some lightweight jackets and pants along with all the shorts and bathing suits, I did not pack socks. By the time we arrived after the 5.5 hour drive turned into 7.5 it was a 100% chance of rain and the temperature was a balmy 60 degrees. Oh, and windy. Really windy. So we threw up the tent, crawled in and went to sleep dreaming of warm weather. But woke up to rain. I stated we needed socks, so after breakfast we went to the most crowded junk store I have every been in. Instantly the claustrophobic palpitations began but I did buy these socks, because if I have to wear socks with Chacos they WILL be ugly:

When went to Arches National Park and by the time we go to the delicate arch it was 65 and sunny. I really can't imagine hiking that in 95 degree weather. It is in no way a difficult hike but at 95 degrees wandering around in sand is never fun unless it brings you to an ocean. So I was happy it was cool and the rains had let up. There was a rescue going on at the time, but they managed to find/pull the guy back up and he did seem to be ok. Scary though. The next day we went to Canyonlands National Park and it was incredible. Freezing raining cold but still incredible. We basically ran from the car to the view point snapped a picture and got back in the car because it was 45!!!! But right at lunch time the skies cleared and we bar b qued some hamburgers, but as soon as we were finished it started raining.


Saturday we met up with some old friends who had a booth at the art festival, then later in the evening dumped all five kids with a babysitter and went out on the town. We had dinner and rode cruisers around. It was so fun. There is something about riding a cruiser that feels like being a kid. I NEED one!

The kids loved the vacation despite the cold and rain. The boy cried the first hour in the car, he said Moab has way more things to do than Colorado and he misses his friend he made. Can't blame the kids they got to play in the dirt. In our friends' backyard they built a dirt bike track and the kids had so much time playing on it. The boy, well, he got to be a boy. Baby girl is always happy when dirt is involved. I am sure we will be back.


3 comments:

love2cook said...

The pictures are GORGEOUS!! Would love to go there someday. Your trip sounds great!

EatPlayLove said...

I can't believe the weather was so crappy. I've only been there when it was hot, hot, or hot. Pictures are great!

Kathleen said...

I swear the many many times i have been there it has never rained. The hike to the arch in 95 degree weather is a killer, hubby did it with the boy on his back! the stone radiates heat back at you making it unbearable. No matter what the weather it is so worth it. Love the rain picture!