Thursday, May 8, 2008

Because this is who I am

It's important to remember that feminism is no longer a group of organizations or leaders. It's the expectations that parents have for their daughters, and their sons, too. It's the way we talk about and treat one another. ~ Anna Quindlen


Dear Media and Marketers in General (yep, with one swift flourish of the fingers I am lumping you all together),

I am tired of you judging women. I am tired of you pushing books, television shows, music, and broadcasting sexist individuals to trump up sales and ratings that demean women, tarting out prepubescent girls, and don't get me started on Tila Tequila and Girls Gone Wild. I am tired of all of the pejorative language used referring to women. I am tired of all moms being grouped together as anxiety ridden about our children, that we are selfish if we return to work and spoiled if we stay home. OR that we are complete nitwits who are obviously unable to make our own decisions about our OWN lives and marriages and parenting. I am tired of YOU creating the Mommy Wars simply so women will tune in or purchase books.

I am happy the term soccer mom is being held at bay during this election because there is a WOMAN running for President. That condescending term had to go. I am hedging my bets if Hillary loses this term will once again rear its ugly head. And while we are on condescending terms: I am not OK with the word MILF. Gee thanks, because my sexuality went out the door when I had kids? And now I am only categorized as Mom? Oh and cougar, that one's great let me tell ya. So once the MILF is past 50 she is a cougar? Nice. Or that anyone past 50 who is well put together and takes care of herself must be a cougar? Once again. Nice. Want another one, how about Trophy Wife. Just sit on the shelf to be looked at, not really human, just pretty. Thanks for deciding for us there are Alpha Moms. Or that we need to market that horrible time in life called middle school by promoting Mean Girls. Fantastic! Keep on selling those Bratz dolls too, because I want my daughter to think of herself as trash and good for only sex and not for anything else.

And this is for you State Governments pass the bloody amendment already!

ERA
Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

Three states short of 38 required for ratification



"Maybe the stay-at-home moms will devour the information in The Feminine Mistake and debate my findings in their book clubs. Maybe some of them will even reconsider their choices and start making more sensible plans for the future than relying on the blithe assumption that there will always be an obliging husband around to support them." Leslie Bennetts, um, thanks for that great opinion but I am only supposing that families and WOMEN can make their own opinions without your help. And obliging husband? Really?

So am I being shrill? Obnoxious? A Feminazi? Or you're looking at the calendar and saying um, I think she is PMSing about now. But seriously this demeaning women thing is SOOO last century. Get over it! And yes I am a very serious individual who can't take a joke and never laughs, ever.

Love,

Jennie

5 comments:

EatPlayLove said...

I'll bring chocolate tonight in my purse. J/K..I hear ya, loud and clear.

The Manny said...

I am not a woman so I will never understand the frustration. This is all I can think of to say, to be taken in ironic jest mind you.

Hey Chick, go make me a pie and knit me a sweater. Now run along, it is man talk time. Oh that's right, I am poking the bear.

love2cook said...

YOU GO GIRL!! I'd like to also add I'm tired of the rappers referencing to women as "bitches and hos."

EatPlayLove said...

I wish the manny would come to my blog, I have no male readers. But then again, I think I know why.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Excellent!! **golf clap**