Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mom Blogs

I read a blog named Classy Chaos pretty regularly. Today she posted about receiving nasty comments and also posted a video about mom bloggers from the Today Show. I have reposted the video here. I have noticed a few nasty comments on other sites that I read as well. The mother of all mom bloggers Dooce has spoken about this problem too. Now I can only imagine that once your blog reaches a certain size that you will begin to get some negativity. However, I have noticed there is starting to be some bad press about bloggers. More importantly about MOM bloggers. Somehow we are exploiting our children, we are horrible parents, and blah blah blah. 

So this is MY opinion on the matter. Feel free to leave me yours.

Moms talk about their kids incessantly anyway. Once it was ok to hold hostage the person sitting next to you on an airplane and show him or her wallet sized photos of your kids and then give all sorts of juicy details about diapers, t-ball, and dance recitals. HE/SHe was a perfect stranger! God forbid that person follow you to your car or bus or whatever,  follow you home and do horrible things to you and your family. Oh wait, I guess that could happen anytime, anywhere. But usually it doesn't. On the video Dooce is there as well as Kathy Lee Gifford. (When did Kathy Lee Gifford start working for Today?) Who gives her opinion that basically she is not so sure about this "blogging thing." They talk about women making ad revenue. To which I say more power to you! If you are blogging about poopy diapers, sex with your husband, and make -up and someone wants to pay you. You Rock.

But what I think may be going on here is a nasty continuation of the mommy wars. Which really I never see or hear about in daily life, I just hear or read about it through the friggin' media. This is me being sarcastic "now ladies is this really necessary blogging about baby poo, spilled food, tantrums, and *gasp* relations with your husband. Quiet down please, ladies. You are getting to be a bit much. This really isn't in good taste."

So yeah, if you are getting some cash for telling people about your day and that us MOMS are IMPORTANT in this world keep on blogging. 

And in case you needed some info about my sex life and spirituality because I don't blog about these topics:

This mom has sex with her husband. It is good. Damn good.

There was only one perfect person who walked this Earth, and you and I are not Him.

Roll the tape.

9 comments:

OHmommy said...

Thanks. :)

Kathie Lee Gifford made millions of dollars talking about HER children on TV every single day, for how many years?

Grrrr....

love2cook said...

Ugh...I can't stand Kathie Lee. I say moms should write whatever they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

laughingatchaos said...

Holy Hell, I can't believe Dooce didn't reach over and throttle her. I can't STAND Kathie Lee. She makes my skin crawl. And I agree with ohmommy...how is what we're all doing different from her blathering about her kids for so many years?

TaraMetBlog said...

It's crazy how alien those two make blogging seem in that clip's intro, as if it's all a new thing and not something that started over four years ago. Get with the times ladies!

And OhMommy, you are sooo right. Regis used to make fun of her for it. I remember that.

EatPlayLove said...

I was going to call you earlier when Heather was on. Apparently you got the memo.

Kathie Lee is a tart. Someone had to say it.

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing the video--I'm new to the blogging world, so it's good background info. I do think the mom blogs ARE a great validation for what we do and a great outlet.

Kathleen said...

as we just mentioned the other day mom blogs are like free therapy, otherwise we would all go crazy!

The Manny said...

EWWWWWWWW!!!! Did not need to see the sex comment. This is not an anti-mom blog statement, this is an anti-brother hearing about sister's sex-life statement. Don't care that you are married, I went temporarily blind.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I have weighed in on this and I concur.