Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day two: Happiness is a clean house and pressed undergarments

Just a reminder, this is from last fall, I don't drink wine while pregnant and neither should you.


Since I did not know what my husband's favorite meal was, I inquired and found out it was surprisingly enough: Meatloaf (and possibly chicken fried steak.) So last night after I purchased the much sought after apron, a real 50s kind with large bright fruit on it, I set about to make some tasty meatloaf. I did indeed put on my skirt, heels, pearls, and apron in order to cook. My feet were pretty sore. I have to say I was worried about getting the new apron dirty. The table was set, wine was poured, children were cleaned up. Baby girl needed new clothes on since her were a bit too dirty for meeting Daddy when he got home. I put on a fresh coat of make-up naturally. The boy was coached to say "Good evening Father," when Darling Husband walked through the door. His slippers were laid out by the arm chair. When he did walk through the door he started laughing again. I smiled demurely and let him chat for a while. (I have noticed he likes to chat while I am being demure.) He donned his slippers during dinner. After the leisurely meal, which included desert he HELPED me clean up the dishes and then gave the kids a bath!!!! Now, I do admit he usually does the kid bathing, but NEVER does he actually help clean up all the dishes. After the kitchen was thoroughly scrubbed down, and so were the children, we put them to bed and I folded some laundry. Then we went downstairs to watch the good 'ol t.v. I decided that it would be a good time to iron his underwear. That's right ladies, his underwear. In all honesty he did try to stop me, I think he was embarrassed. But I ironed two pairs of boxers and a white t-shirt using my new smelly ironing water. It has a lovely name, but I can't think of it right now something in French. He did comment (unprovoked) on the fact that because the house was so clean he didn't want to mess it up which was why he kept picking up after himself. He commented on the idea of appearance as well, his philosophy being that one appears to be more in control when one looks presentable. I noted he was wearing cuff links. That is not a lie, he was wearing cuff links. At 9:30 I was exhausted and went to bed. Things to note: I don't own appropriate bedclothes for this experiment. I sleep in t-shirts and p.j. bottoms. I own exactly one nightgown. I thought about purchasing some more, but, I really do hate sleeping in them.

This morning, I woke up at 6 am to make blueberry pancakes and sausage. The table was once again laid out beautifully and after a leisurely breakfast was consumed I scrubbed everything down again. I have to say, I am a bit tired. I may need some more coffee. We went to Darling Husband's work volunteer day. If I owned a bandanna it would have been in my hair. Sometimes, ladies it is important to leave your housework in order to help others. Tonight we get to see a really swell ski movie and have dinner with friends so I won't have much to write about. I do plan on serving a very large Sunday dinner tomorrow complete with the good dinnerware. While cleaning up, it occurred to me that if I were truly a 50s housewife I would not have the lovely dishwasher. Good grief, so I did do the extra dishes (the dishwasher was already full) by hand. Nor, would I only have to iron some underwear, but probable every item of clothing. Thing to aspire to! Here are some extra thoughts to ponder: This comes from a book that a friend told me about in stores now.

Compassionate and practical, The Surrendered Wife is a step-by-step guide that teaches women how to:

Give up unnecessary control and responsibility
Express their needs while also respecting their husband's choices
Resist the temptation to criticize, belittle or dismiss their husbands
Trust their husbands in every aspect of marriage - from sexual to financial...and more.


That should be an interesting read. Apparently I am not alone in this quest.Two days in and it seems as though DH's demeanor has improved as well as the working.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow--there's no way in hell I would do all that--I'm really impressed. It's amazing you pulled off June in real life. :)

The International Manny said...

Wanted to let you know Nadine from Germany has started to read your blog. She finds it funny. I had to explain why you refer to the family as the husband, the boy, and baby girl. She that was how you actually referred to them. Silly Germans.