Friday, June 6, 2008

Remember the karaoke scene in My Best Friend's Wedding?

I can't sing. No really I am pretty sure I am tone deaf. I can keep a beat alright for a white girl and I can dance just fine, thank you. But sing, not in my repertoire of skills. Not that my lack of talent stops me from singing mind you, I still do it. Not loudly unless it is just the kids and me. But while in public places it just will NOT happen. 
Church? Nope. 
Karaoke Bar? Not a chance.
Hotel Shower? Maybe. But it had better be at the Four Season in Maui. 
What about if I may have had one to many at a Karaoke Bar? Um, that is still a no, I am pretty inhibited. And yet I remember a certain Irish Pub in Germany that I sang at....loudly too. 

So I deemed today classical music day in the house and made the kids listen to classical music during lunch. They seemed to like it, since it reminded them of Little Einstein. With the Fourth of July approaching we listened to the 1812 Overture. The boy liked the cannons. Then during Pachabel I was consumed with the thought of "what is that song that was on the Navy commercials in the 1990s??? What is IT!?" So I called the Manny to find out, he hold lots of useless knowledge in his brain (the military is planning on kicking that right out of him). He knew what it was after a quick Google search which I could have done had I not been scrubbing the toilet. Honestly I was. It is called Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copland. Which was the theme song to the 1976 Olympics. Who knew?

Then the husband called....
I told him about my obsessive compulsive thoughts about finding out this song and he said "you should just go to the tap site or something. You just tap out the tune on the space bar and the site KNOWS what song you are thinking of." So after putting the darlings to bed I went there. Apparently I can't tap to save my life either. I have tapped about ten songs and it hasn't gotten single stinkin' one!  Not even Happy Birthday. Sheesh.


Below is 9/11 tribute with Copland's Fanfare.


And I couldn't resist another one of Copland's famous pieces Rodeo:Hoedown (and now you may want beef for dinner.)

9 comments:

The All-Wise Manny said...

I challenge anyone to some Trivial Pursuit. Especially the first edition in the light blue box. Me and my useless knowledge will kick some ass. And where is Robert Mitchum when you need him saying "Beef, it's what's for dinner."

Pappy said...

You two are really getting weird.
Ok Patty poo...who was the voice before Robert Mitchum? He used to do Kraft commercials as well...

pappy said...

"The commercials were voiced by actor Sam Elliott (not tough guy Robert Mitchum, as I've heard some people say) and featured various beef-laden dishes being laid out by stereotypical American families, mostly made up of two parents and two kids, all of whom were practically melting in an orgy of beefy anticipation as their dinner was laid out before them."

The Don't Mess with the Jedi Master Manny said...

Bret Maverick a.k.a Jim Rockford a.k.a. Murphy a.k.a. James Garner

The Sis will kill us for this online argument Manny said...

Sam Elliot came after Robert Mitchum due to the latters semi-retirement from acting. James Coburn came after Elliot until Coburns death. Sam "I love my mustache" Elliot came back. I am a huge Robert Mitchum fan, trust me on this. FYI, Mitchum's best role (in my opinion) is in The Yakuza directed by the late Sidney Pollack.

The had to throw one more in to piss sis off manny said...

Ewwwwww, dad wrote "orgy"

jennie said...

wow what a gene pool to be proud of.

pappy said...

Obviously it was a boring night, with nothing else for the entire gene pool to do...sad.

EatPlayLove said...

Holy Crap...I think you should just post the comment banter between the manny and your dad!

I never sing in public either, ever.