Thursday, June 5, 2008

a smattering of stuff

So you may have noticed this blog has taken a turn for the worse. I am lazy, uninspired, not feeling snarky. Just feeling icky and have a sore shoulder to boot. Poor me. I went to the FIRST APPOINTMENT. There is still a fetus in there. The fetus is making me sick to my tummy and very tired. But I still love it. The boy is very excited about this new baby. Baby girl simply takes off her diaper and pees on the floor. Or the couch, never in the toilet. When Jennie is pregnant she tends to lose her snarkiness. I save it all up until about 3 weeks post partum and then holy crap it is like a time bomb went off in my house. BEWARE. It lasts for a good year. The husband is soooo excited too he.can't.wait.

Poor segue into non-related topic. While listening to NPR this evening during the dreaded meal preparation I heard a story about rising food prices and what three women were now doing in order to obtain cheaper food. One women only made $374 every two weeks! How in the world does she get by? The middle income woman now plans her driving in order to save gas money for food and the third was affluent but stopped shopping at Whole Foods after she realized that she had just spent $140 on food that wouldn't even make three meals. What truly got to me in the story was the first woman who was a hard working single mom with three teenagers. "Rhodes has no doubt that no matter how high food prices get, she will be able to provide for her family. She points out that she was raised in rural Maryland. She is, she says, a country girl. "I can shoot a deer," she says. "I can shoot a turkey. So I will feed my kids one way or another."  That was just too much for me! America we can do better than this!!!! 


4 comments:

Kathleen said...

off course it is always the healthy things that go up first, fruits, veg etc i'm sure i'll still see cheap bags of chips and cheap soda everywhere.

laughingatchaos said...

Food prices are freaking killing me. Especially now that I'll probably be moving us to a gluten-free, dairy-free diet. That ain't cheap. Tomorrow is a Costco run; thank God it's payday or I'd have to part with a kidney. This isn't right. It's still another week until my CSA puts out veggies and several months until my garden produces.

Cathy said...

Congratulations!!! I had a feeling ... :)

love2cook said...

WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!