Thursday, August 7, 2008

Linguine With Lemon, Garlic, and Thyme Mushrooms

I am an NPR junkie. Truly. The husband and I used to be "subscribers" in Vegas. But now we just cheat and listen religiously for free. I start my day by making breakfast for the kids and listening to NPR. (On KUNC) Then I listen while cooking dinner. I just love it. I know people say there is a liberal bent to it. The husband likes to bring this up. After almost five years in a very large corporation I have seen tid bits of conservatism come out of his mouth. Then I tell his such nonsense is not allowed in the house and make his wash out his mouth with soap. But since I am a liberal, I personally find NPR to be rather balanced. What I really love about it is how in depth they are with the stories, and the variety. Such as Monday while driving in the the mama mobile to speech I was listening and heard Nigella Lawson, who is a British food author. She was describing some of her favorite summer recipes. She has an incredibly thick accent and did not look at all like she sounds when I went to the website. One recipe that seemed easy (since I have read a couple of easy summer recipe posts lately) and yummy was Linguine With Lemon, Garlic, and Thyme Mushrooms. I made it yesterday evening and it WAS easy and very good. Surprisingly the kids even ate it.

Ingredients

8 oz/4 cups finely sliced cremini mushrooms *I threw in some portobellos too
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt or 1 ½ teaspoons table salt
small clove garlic, minced
zest and juice of a lemon
4 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped to give 1 teaspoon leaves
1 lb linguine
1 bunch parsley, chopped to give ½ cup
2 – 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
freshly ground pepper

Instructions

"Slice the mushrooms finely, and put them into a large bowl with the oil, salt, minced garlic, lemon juice and zest, and gorgeously scented thyme leaves.

Cook the pasta according to the package instructions and drain loosely, retaining some water. Quickly put the pasta into the bowl with the mushroom mixture.

Toss everything together well, and then add the parsley, cheese, and pepper before tossing again, and eat with joy in your heart."

Some changes I made were the extra portobellos. We didn't have linguini so I used spaghetti. I don't really like thyme so instead I tossed in some mixed dry Italian herbs, that I have in grinder together. Fresh would have been better, but this tasted so good and it was quite easy. But I did use garlic from our garden.


The husband and I had a salad with it. We trying to incorporate more meatless dishes into our dinner-time repertoire and this one I would certainly make again.

Here is the NPR link to the recipe.

3 comments:

love2cook said...

That sounds delicious and I will have to try it. I love Nigella. She's gorgeous, isn't she? She has a show on the food network called Nigella Feasts.

Kathleen said...

More pasta - YUMMY.

EatPlayLove said...

I love nigella, I became fond of her when we had style network (with satellite dish in 4mile canyon). her show is the best, she always sneaks into the refrigerator in the middle of the night and snacks to end the episode.

I'll have to check this recipe out, as we have thyme handy.