Wednesday, September 10, 2008

jennie, the baker....at least for the day

How a family goes through six loaves of bread in three weeks is beyond me. They are not even close to being teenagers yet. I bought all six loaves at Costco, Rudi's Organic thank you very much. The price of the two pack has gone up a bit this year but seriously what hasn't.  So when I noticed all of the bread was gone I thought, self, we have a bread machine and will make it our self. Because we all know how those "I am just going to the store to buy one thing" trips turn out. And the husband has been completely forbidden to go shopping at Costco or really anywhere for that matter. What should be a $200 trip turns into $400. No lie. He sees organic written on the label and throws it in the basket. It doesn't matter what it is and a bunch of other stuff that he knows I will never make, plus all the snacks and meat...he's from Texas that's all I can say. I have seen his mother's entire room full of food, so I am figuring there is a genetic component. So last time I may have tossed the word divorce around when he came with me. Plus, now I go to the butcher for all of our meat because of recalls and one time I was pretty sure I was eating kangaroo. Slightly more pricey, but all freshly dead and tastes wonderful. I am certainly not letting Mr. Texas anywhere near there. 

So back to the bread. I just pulled it out of the oven. I use the bread maker for the dough and then put the dough in the oven because otherwise it turns out brick-like. Plus I have learned at this altitude a little gluten is necessary, so I add a tablespoon of it too. I have yet to taste it, but it looks and smells wonderful. 

And for my next trick, lemon cake for dessert tonight. I know, I know how domestic of me, huh? 

4 comments:

EatPlayLove said...

I have a fabulous recipe for oatmeal bread, you bake it in the oven, but there is something very soothing about working the dough by hand.

I'll email it to you. And for the record we go through 2 of those Rudi's loaves a week ourselves.

love2cook said...

I hate those trips to Costco where it's for only a few things and turns out to be much more! I'm guilty of that sometimes. I think it's great you were baking your own bread. Baking bread is therapeutic, isn't it?

Kathleen said...

hoping to see some of the desert at playgroup today!

Cathy said...

You've inspired me to buy a bread machine. I go through so much bread a week, and like you said, if you go to Costco for "just bread," you come out with a lot of stuff you don't really need but get b/c you don't want to make a second trip, etc. (nice run-on sentence.)