Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A1C Manny


Well he did it. He managed to get yelled at for six weeks, shoot an M-16, get tear gassed, perfected hospital corners, and salute my one time officer mom. The manny crossed into the blue. He even graduated with honors. Now he is off in California learning Mandarin. We were all shocked, having prepared ourselves for Arabic or Farsi and tours of Baghdad, but instead he will be able to order us some killer dishes in Chinatown when we visit him in San Francisco. While at Sea World he even re-gained his Manny skills and stated, "I think she is choking." And I promptly Heimliched my daughter who was indeed choking on a strawberry. 

Being back on a base was certainly bittersweet for me. You never realize how much you can miss a lifestyle (and a husband in uniform) until it is gone. And while the husband would be most likely a Master Sargent drinking coffee and "managing" the airmen from 7-4 every weekday, I couldn't ask him to go back. Even though a huge non-realistic piece of me wanted to. I know full well he would also have done a tour in Korea and Baghdad by now too. He found the experience to be nostalgia inducing as well, he couldn't believe how much he has done in his life since he completed basic training slightly over twelve years ago. When I think about it I am impressed too. (Just don't tell him, he has an ego, you know.)

On the plane ride back, when I should have been watching Mr. Hottie Matt Damon in the the Bourne Identity on the fancy schmancy phone I instead thought about what I want to do with my life now that even the manny is employed. With a damn cool job to boot. Because I know this tiny phase in my life with pass all to quickly and no one will need their butts wiped anymore. I had better start preparing now. So starting this next month I am. I am keeping it between the husband and myself for now, until I get a better handle on the idea. It's kind of large. But if you look back at a previous post where I was ranting about what I love to do...it fits them perfectly. I am starting to feel at peace, and just the thought of me working towards something makes me appreciate all the silly moments with the kids even more. 

5 comments:

Cathy said...

That's great you've figured out what you want to do--that 95% of it. :) Congratulations to your brother, too!

love2cook said...

Congratulations to your brother! That's fantastic! Also, that's so great you've figured out what you want to do. That's REALLY GREAT!! For now, I have postponed grad school so I can enjoy changing diapers, wiping faces and battling with the demands of a 2 year old mind.

Kathleen said...

Congrats to Manny. I am glad you have found something you really want to do i look forward to hearing the plans!

EatPlayLove said...

Congrats to the manny, I can't believe his training is over and done already. And best of luck with pursuing your passion, it's a tough road. I suggest getting a head start before baby #3 graces your life.

And, can you just email me a hint, because I can't go digging through your archives! LOL...

The A1C Manny said...

That's right, the Manny is back and in as awesome as ever. But this Manny comes with weapons training. So if your kids need to know how to break down an M16 all in Chinese have me over to baby-sit. Such a role-model