Wednesday, October 29, 2008

and then the little bear said, "someone is sleeping in my bed"

I am a nervous, judgemental, and at times overly cautious to the point of annoyance person. I may have told you this before. I am pretty sure I was not always this way, Jennie before kids had common sense about things while Jennie post kids can be a tad neurotic. Especially during infant season, the anxiety can reach epic proportions. I became a stay at home Mommy because some time during the 8th month of my first pregnancy somewhere in my brain a switch got flipped and all those eons of time that women had to keep an infant alive out in elements came flooding in and I no longer trusted that anyone, except for myself, to care for my kids. This includes my husband at times. I have been working on this lack of trust and have realized that my children may be my security blanket or something and that is why I don't easily let them go into the care of another human. And in the same breath I have gut instincts as a Mommy and while alarm bells don't go off when I leave my kids with their Dad or the grandparents and never the other Mommies I know, they have at times screamed at me when I have left them in the care of a babysitter. To the point that I simply am unable to enjoy myself childless and would rather sit home dealing with tantrums, poopy diapers, sticky hands, and other kid time fun instead of eating drenched in butter pan seared scallops and when not with child a glass or two of wine. Today is such a day.

I received in the mail about a month ago the dreaded jury summons. I actually think this would be kind of a cool thing to do, but as a stay at home mom the processes is a bit annoying. One only finds out if there even need to show up at the court house by calling no earlier than 5:30pm the evening before the scheduled date. The husband's place of employment has a rather useful benefit where we receive twenty days a year to use back-up babysitting in the event the primary caregiver is unable to well, provide childcare. So if I have a dentist appointment or something I can call up and they will provide a babysitter. I do have the option to use a daycare center as well. After receiving the jury summons I made a mental note to use the day care center because I figured it would be a long day and the kids would have way more fun playing with other kids and planned activities that with some freak with gold teeth and gang tattoos that lets them watch 7 hours of t.v. and talks on her cell phone non-stop. I have had some really great people show up to watch them and some downright weirdos. The weirdos create alarm bells and then I am completely incapable of focusing on anything other than the impending doom the children are in.  The good ones are never available when you request them because they all quit! 

Unfortunately the daycare did not work out because all of the centers in a twenty mile radius the company contracts through require that baby girl be at least 2.5 years old. So I had to go the freak route. After calling post 5:30 pm yesterday I found out I did not even need to go to jury duty, but also I was unable to cancel the child sitting and if I did I would be charged the 9 hours at $15 an hour. Me, not the company, me. I am not really in the mood for shelling out $135 today, thanks.

So I tell my self, "Self you have shit that needs to get done and now you can do it without the kids." Like going to the library in peace to look for books. So after dropping the boy off at preschool, no sense in him staying home all day to watch Nick Jr., that is what I do. Alarms were going off making it difficult to concentrate on reading. Why were alarm bells going off? Just little things this morning, like her not having her own car, but needing a ride. Asking if it is OK to leave a little early. Can she have some bread to make toast. If I ever need a babysitter and don't want to use the agency give her a call, just don't tell the agency and oh, she doesn't DO weekends. 

Since the alarm bells were going off I figured I would join the lunch time festivities with the children post preschool drop-off. Baby girl was pissed the entire time. Not really sure why, but was just downright pissed. I figured the best thing to do was to eat and then put the kids to bed, they couldn't really get into trouble sleeping. I had to return some make-up at Sephora and drop off the dry cleaning. Then I could come home and casually "work" on the computer until she leaves...early. I told her no problem leave as early as you need to. So after my little hour long errand running I returned home to find her sleeping in my bed!!!!!!!! MY EFFING BED! You know the one I sleep in with my husband. The family bed at five in the morning because that is when the kids wake up and join us. IN MY BED! Raise your hand if you find that odd! Because I sure as hell do. Not sleeping on my couch but in my bed. After hearing me back at home she wakes up to tell me that I have the most comfortable mattress in the world. Gee thanks Goldilocks. 

Seeing as how I was completely dumb stuck and really bad at confronting people I just said "uh, thanks?" with a raised eye-brow and stated she could leave when her ride got here because I am home for the rest of the day. Buh bye now.  The husband called while I was waiting for her to leave. I have yet to tell him because he is REALLY not afraid of confronting people. Not.at.all. Sometimes I think he likes it. I figured since this women is already in the house with lil' old pregnant me and my kids and she is acting more and more strange I will just hang out and let the husband deal with the agency later. 

This is why people have gut instincts and alarms! Normal people don't sleep in other people's bed that they just met this morning, and generally if invited to it is in some sort of guest bed, pull out couch, blow up matress on the floor, and NOT in the man and wife of the house's bed! Now if you'll excuse me I am going to change my sheets and wash the duvet, I feel itchy. 

6 comments:

Mitchell Family said...

Holy crappers.

laughingatchaos said...

I'll second that "holy crappers" too! Um, your hubby might want to mention to HR that the nanny service sucks donkey danglies. Yikes.

Pappy said...

HR has to do something about this. If your daughter had been hurt while goldilocks was asleep, they would be held negligent, in addition the "K" would be as well since they provide the contracted services. Tell hubby to rip a new one on this one. He might even enjoy doing it...

love2cook said...

That is CRAZY and HORRIFIC!!! Do any of Jack's teachers babysit?? Also, ask other moms about babysitters and you can always interview someone. I am so sorry that happened to you. Definitely says something to the nanny service.

bernthis said...

OMFG!!! Are you kidding me? I would call the agency and insist, DEMAND that they not charge you for this girls time. That is completely and utterly inappropriate and I would ask if they have done a background check on this gal or any other of their "sitters". I would find out if they legally must do so, (I believe they have to) and I woudl request proof that they have in fact done it and if they have not, I would tell them I going to report them to the proper agencies.

EatPlayLove said...

wow. I've heard it all!