Tuesday, December 2, 2008

while watching the news in southern colorado both jennie and the husband began crying upon hearing the news that croup is back in town...

Where did we leave off? Ah yes, Thanksgiving: It was good the husband was at home all week, we got the baby's room together, ate too much turkey, visited with family, got the tree up. The house is now a disaster, I can't imagine that eating turkey day leftovers is even safe anymore so I desperately need to get to the grocery store, five loads into the laundry and I have finally made a dent, Santa Claus is done shopping (all time record) need to finish other family members' gifts, husband is completely anxious and infecting me with his vibe over his super secret mission to DC that I am NOT supposed to be discussing here I am sure, but oh look I am. I am overwhelmed. I need a wife of my own to pick up this mess. But to top it off baby girl completely outdid herself this time. To the point that I am ready to light a cigarette and take a shot of tequila...that is a joke (sort of.)

Baby girl cut her hair. Oh and she was so proud of herself too.


Yesterday I took her to some fancy schmancy little girl salon for her first haircut to see if they could do anything about her do. There was not much that could be done. So I basically just shortened all of her hair a few inches and made it all one length (minus the fuzz at the top) so she doesn't look like a blond Joan Jett in a month.



But since she was getting all kinds of attention with this little shenanigan and was completely enjoying herself she decided to go for a twofer and began barking at 2 am last night. That's right folks effing croup for the fourth time in 10 months. This is becoming a chronic problem. Last night I actually got the steam/cold air trick to work. I was an hour into it and was halfway to the ER when she started clearing up. So we turned around went home and all slept together. This morning I took her to the doctor and finally I have my very own stash of steroids to give her when these little episodes begin. Two out of the four have resulted in ambulance rides and all kinds of oxygen and other medical devices. Two have not. So my next step, if this happens yet again, is to schedule an appointment with the boy's beloved ENT doc for further evaluation of her larynx and adenoids. I have read and been told that there is some link between reflux and chronic croup and also asthma and croup. I would be surprised if it was either of those, well I guess I could understand the reflux, but she doesn't ever seem asthmatic. Either way giving steroids to a two year old makes her VERY wide awake so that fact that we were up most of the night has no effect on her, but mommy needs an IV of caffeine inserted, but since I already guzzled my allotted 1/2 cup I suppose I will continue to ignore the state of my house and watch cartoons with the kids all afternoon.

5 comments:

love2cook said...

LOL!!! I was laughing out loud at that haircut!! Oh my goodness, you have a handful. Her and Mr. E would get along splendidly these days. Luckily, he hasn't tried cutting his hair yet, but loves to get into trouble.

I'm sorry to hear she's sick :( That's not fun at all. Hope she feels better soon. Hang in there!

DC???? I want to hear more about that one. Our doors are always open to you. :)

EatPlayLove said...

oh my...looks like she got into the electric shaver. My hubby can give her some tips.

Trust me my friend, things could be worse. I know someone that is in the hospital at 30 weeks with a fever of 106!!!

So enjoy your happy little belly, lounging, and cartoons.

Mitchell Family said...

No matter how many times I see her picture, I still crack up! Oh she's a mess.

Cathy said...

You're strong--I'd down a pot of coffee if I was you! What a week--Ethan and James never gave themselves haircuts, and even if they did, I could just crew cut it. It'll grow back fast. :)

Kathleen said...

ah the haircut thing, does every girl go through a phase??

Sorry to here she is sick again, but on the bright side cartoons always make things better!