Friday, March 27, 2009

Calling all Chefs; or those that just watch the Food Network

We had a blizzard yesterday. The husband's job decided it best if the employees remained home with their families. All was fine and dandy in the Jennie Household until the dreaded dinnertime hour came. I think I may have mentioned before that me no likes to cook. Oh sure I will get into a baking frenzy every once and a while, hormone related I am sure, but I just am not one to cook. I like a good meal when I go out to dinner, I love me some chocolate, but on a daily basis; cup of joe with my Cheerios, followed by PB&J for lunch, some almonds and an apple for snack, dinner is baked chicken with a very large salad. The husband, however, was completely spoiled in this regard as a child. One too many Hostess cupcakes in his brought from home lunch, the type of lunch I would dream about as a child...Snack Packs, Suzi Qs, Twinkies, plus plenty of other goodies I am sure. Nowadays I wouldn't eat this stuff nor feed it to my kids because I have my organic suburban stay at home mommy standards to live up to. But yesterday when I fed my family lentils and rice and was plainly told that I half assed the meal I decided that perhaps snow days are a bad thing. The husband thinks his meals should ALWAYS be a gastrogasmic (how you like them apples spell checker?) experience. Morning, noon, and night.  Obviously when I threw my shoe at his head it missed, because, after 10 years, he still thinks that this is going to happen when I cook. Poor man. 

However, we all have our breaking points and so I am asking YOU dear reader, please send me an easy recipe that is sure to please this man. Or at least a link to one.  I am not a foodie, but I do have a couple of stipulations:

1. it has to be easy enough I can make it while holding big fat baby
2. it needs to be healthy because after dining on too much cheese, red meat and beer the cholesterol fairy came to visit the husband and since he is my sole source of income I am trying to keep him alive
3.  no fish I have issues with iodine

Really I just need 7 meals because there are only 7 dinners in a week and I am thinking he won't be wise to the routine for at least a month. This morning we woke to even more snow and the husband declared he was home again today. I silently wondered if this was a good thing, seeing as how I was going to have to feed him ALL DAY LONG. But to my surprise, he jumped out of bed and made breakfast since he knew that two days of Cheerios would likely kill him. Then we sat around with our coffee discussing prices of hotels in Paris... because we are affluent poseurs. 

5 comments:

Mitchell Family said...

Here's my contribution: It's really quick and extremely easy. You can substitute whole wheat tortillas.
INGREDIENTS
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 cup salsa
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

DIRECTIONS
1. Rinse beans in cold water, drain well.
2. Combine beans, salsa, cumin and chili powder in large pan. Cook over medium-high heat for about ten minutes, mashing beans slightly with back of wooden spoon. Stir occasionally, adding a little water if mixture looks too dry.
3. Spoon bean mixture into tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold each tortilla into an envelope shape, ensuring both ends are tucked in. Eat warm or wrap in plastic to take for lunch.

EatPlayLove said...

I'll send you some recipes. I love the kid friendly enchiladas on my webpage, which use a pre-cooked chicken. Win, win!

Try foodnetwork or marthastewart (the real food recipes) you can click on ingredients or length of time!

laughingatchaos said...

Tastefully Simple. Just search recipes and FB me if you have questions.
Other suggestions: Supper Solutions (freezer meals), once a month cooking (so you only have to suffer once every 30 days), and carry out.

Kathleen said...

checkout this blog it's a women who uses her crockpot every day for every meal. there are some really quick and yummy things. I know several people who have tried different things. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

I have a few ideas on a blog i do with some friends too we have been a bit lax lately but there are some http://stuckforanidea.blogspot.com/

love2cook said...

Pasta e fagioli is great too! It's basically a soup with beans (cannelini or whatever you prefer), veggies, small tubes of pasta and a small amount of bacon or pancetta. It's VERY easy and my kids and hubby love it. A little bit of something for everyone. Giada De Laurentiis has an excellent recipe on www.foodtv.com. What about fun foods like finger foods? We do that once every other week (i.e. sliders or pigs in a blanket). I use a puff pastry and wrap it around those yummy sausages from Whole Foods or their hot dogs. The kids and hubby love it. Easy too. You can also use the puff pastry and wrap it around a stick of mozzarella. We also have finally mastered oven baked french fries where they are crispy.

Bruschetta is always great because then you can make two meals (on the bread or toss with pasta). Ground turkey egg rolls are fun too. I would be happy to share any recipe with you. I'll be quiet now....;)