Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I do love that song

Many of you may be wondering whatever happened to ranting snarky Jennie. I have been trying out this new thing called being nice. Trying to be nice to my husband, remembering that my kids are still little and appreciate their kid-ness. You know, manifest my rainbows and butterflies. But while listening to, you guessed it NPR, I have decided to let snarky Jennie come out and play. What has me in a tizzy you ask? I mean Obama is president I have no W to lob my shoe at, what ever could have set me off? 

The hub bub surrounding Britain's Got Talent Susan Boyle's appearance.

Washington Post fashion editor Robin Givhan has decided that Ms. Boyle needs a make over due to industry standards. That's right "industry standards". At one point I believe she used the word professionalism. snort. I would like to ask what standards those might be. Stick figures for bodies, botox, implants, jeans that cost as much as my mortgage? You mean those standards? Ms. Boyle walked out on stage wearing a  pleasant looking  dress, a dress that was rather age appropriate in my opinion. She wasn't scantily clad like most in the "industry,"  she is a bit overweight but I am of the opinion she should shed pounds (or shall I say stones) for health reasons and not for some TMZ viewer's pleasure.  She wasn't wearing jammies  like the woman I saw walking back from the grocery store (complete with slippers!) But a normal dress. 

I say, leave the decision up to Ms. Boyle after all  it is HER body, we already have enough plastic Bratz dolls to look at thank you very much. Instead of focusing on her not so hotness we should perhaps focus on her beauty, which is her voice; and perhaps the Western world should not  be so surprised that a plain looking woman can sing extremely well.

OK snarky Jennie is going back in the box now. I am dreaming of an afternoon filled with non tantrum throwing kids but smiling ones and an easily prepared dinner. 
 

4 comments:

love2cook said...

Aaahhh, the lovely media. I've banned them from my house, so I didn't know about Susan Boyle. I did see her story on the MSN webpage and thought nothing of how she looked. Ridiculous....

love2cook said...

Ooops, didn't read her story, but saw her picture.

EatPlayLove said...

I just saw a photo of her today, with darker dyed hair and a Burberry scarf and leather jacket. Oh Boy!

Kathleen said...

i saw her picture too,those scarfs are everywhere in the UK but the hair was all dark, she's getting more publicity over here than back home!