Thursday, May 28, 2009

He'd be a "Tiny Mite"

When the boy was about 5 months old we were in the grocery store and a
couple of firemen said "Shanahan is going to be looking for him." We
had just moved to Denver. I was confused. The only Shanahan I knew
used to play for the St. Louis Blues. But then I figured out they were
talking about (the now fired and replaced with some pip squek of a
coach) Mike Shanahan of the Broncos. In other words "lady, that is one
BIG baby." The boy has kept up this larger than average size for the
past five years. He's five but looks about seven. He looks even bigger
next to me because I'm short. But today while we were enjoying our
nice suburban outing the boy was fawned over by a pee wee tackle
football coach. You would have thought we were in Odessa, Texas. He
thought the boy would make a great defensive end. This was lost on me,
but I felt the need to share this information with the husband who
nearly crapped himself with joy. You see the husband played Texas
football and has been dreaming of this moment since we saw a little
hot dog on the ultrasound. Within twenty minutes the husband had
filled out the assistant coach form and had looked up prices for
helmets, pads, and whatever else one needs to play football. I was
content to deal with a pot smoking skiier in high school because the
boy can ski pretty darn well already, but football?? Usually this just
makes me think of O' Bannon in Dazed and Confused, i.e. a jackass. But
we'll let the husband have his moment. I asked the boy if he wants to
play. "Yeah! Or maybe boxing Mom."

4 comments:

Mitchell Family said...

Well good luck with that...I think we might be right behind you. Brian's heart skips a beat whenever he thinks about his boys and sports.

Cathy said...

that's exciting! my brother played football for Mullen high school, so I emphasize with football mania. I think I saw you on your outing, btw

Anonymous said...

That is too funny. Contact sports scare me, but they are also good for the kids. Melissa

Kathleen said...

Good luck, hope it goes well, it's so hard at this age to find the right thing/sport for them. Should be fun to watch at least!