Thursday, September 10, 2009

Herman the Worm

Ever curious about how moss reproduces? Perhaps horses in Mongolia would tickle your fancy. Need to know which tube to take from Heathrow to the heart of London. Google it, right? Most people would. But for completely useless knowledge my husband asks me. Completely useless information lodges itself into my brain clogging it. Like what were you doing the night of May 19th 1994? What were you wearing? Ok I can't say for sure what I was doing on that exact day but I remember 1994 like it was yesterday. And 1998, 1986, 2002 and so on. It's like I push the play button in my head and everything comes streaming in.

The husband and I were discussing this fact about me last night. It drives him nuts. I will drag up the most mundane crap and rehash it. He remembers almost nothing of it and pretends to listen politely. He even forgets big crap, like when I was admitted to the hospital for three days with food poisoning in 2000. I asked him how he could forget that? Well we weren't married then was his answer. But, I stated, we were living together and you took me to the E.R. how can you for get that? You visited me and brought me underwear and a brush! Nothing! He remembers nothing! That lack of memory would drive me insane. I daydream a lot. I tell myself stories all day long. Sometimes they are completely fictional, and I think man if I could just write this down I'd have the next great novel. But then someone needs a diaper change. So while diaper changing I start remembering something. Anything. It really doesn't matter, always random, usually amusing. The boy loves to hear stories about when mommy was younger. "And then what happened Mommy?" "What were you doing when you heard this song Mommy? How old were you and did you like it." (The last question occurs during "classic alternative" listening hour.)

But my memory failed me today. Baby girl started preschool this week. She is absolutely adorable about going. She loves it. She has the same teacher the boy did when he was three. He looked like such a big kid when he was in her class (granted he was most likely the size of a five year old then). I loved taking him and seeing him all excited to play with his friends and tell me how he played with trucks and cars and playing outside was his favorite part. He would bring home some half assed painting. No I am not being mean, the kid doesn't like to paint, draw, mess with play dough or any other crafty activity. For one, he doesn't like slimy things touching his hands and two, he's a boy and can't sit still. But I always got the biggest kick out of him coming home singing Herman the Worm. It took the husband and I a few weeks to figure out what he was saying. He was in speech therapy at the time and was making improvements but the word "yo yo" sounded nothing like how "yo yo" usually sounds. Eventually we understood and would sing with him. Then I got pregnant with big fat baby and the summer came and I guess Herman the Worm went back underground. The next year at preschool he actually learned how to read and write and even a tad bit of math so there was not a lot of time for Herman the Worm.

When I went to pick up baby girl today her class was sitting on the circle time rug and it was so darn cute. They are all wide eyed staring intently, focusing on sitting criss-cross applesauce and were all singing Herman the Worm. Baby girl was singing really loud and could see me out in the hall and kept checking to see if I was paying attention. All the memories of the boy and this song came flooding back. How could I have forgotten about this. It was so wonderful listening to him sing and mispronounce all the words. Baby girl singing and making the chomping noises was mommy heart melting. Why does my brain know that the Piccadilly Line is the one to take and that Mongolian horses have really fat necks and then the whole moss reproduction thing...there is a reason why moss grows in wet climates and that my brain tells me I was wearing a plaid skirt, black sweater, doc martens and was stopping around obnoxiously with friends in October 1994 like it was yesterday? And yet, my kids singing is such a fleeting memory. Sometimes it feels like life sped up after I had kids and has gone into hyperspeed in the past couple of years. I still remember plenty from our day to day activities, and Lord do I remember when the husband does something stupid. Hopefully by the time that big fay baby rolls up to preschool I will remember that small people singing about worms is hilarious and something to hang on to.




*For those reading who are saying who the frak is Herman the Worm here are the lyrics*


I was sitting on the front porch
chewing on my bubble gum (chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp)
Playing with my yo-yo (up and down with hands)
Zing zing (continue yo-yo motion)

When along came Herman the worm yeah (worm motion with hands)
and he was.....
1 inch (verse 1 ) (measure with hands)
And I said "Herman what happened?"
And Herman said "Duuuuuhhhh, I swallowed a...car

*repeat beginning
When along came Herman the worm yeah (worm motion with hands)
and he was.....
6 inches (verse 2)
And I said "Herman what happened?"
And Herman said "Duuuuuhhhh, I swallowed a...truck

*repeat beginning
When along came Herman the worm yeah (worm motion with hands)
and he was....
2 feet (verse 4)
And I said "Herman what happened?"
And Herman said "Duuuuuhhhh, I swallowed a...train

Oh Herman!!!

And Herman just crawled away like this

*repeat beginning
When along came Herman the worm yeah (worm motion with hands)
and he was.....this big (1 inch)

And I said "Herman what happened?"

And Herman said"uuuhhh, I burped!"
Oh Herman!!!!

2 comments:

pappy said...

I can remember a few things too...but I will post them on the blog another time. Pappy

pappy said...

Hummm...now I can't remember them. Must be contagious...