Tuesday, February 23, 2010

something up my sleeve

Last night I read an article in Bicycling Magazine. Here is the link to it. "I Lost 331 Pounds" : Bicycling Magazine.com The actual article was better but the online version is pretty good. It is the story of a morbidly obese man who lost his weight by eating sensibly and riding his bike. He started with 1 mile. There was no cash prize at the end for him, he's not interested in being on Oprah, but simply living. I am a big believer in sensible eating and sensible exercise. No fad diets or magic pills are going on in the Jennie household. There is lots of brown rice, tons of fruits and veggies, and when I am feeling a little bored at the gym I sign up for an event.

My husband and I are undergoing some sustainable healthy life changes. We both plan to write about what we are doing, share our workouts, what we are eating, as well as how we are incorporating the kids into this and the affect it has on our family and marriage. As well as family events and activities that incorporate fitness into people's lives. The kids are the main reason for these changes. They, the kids, watch every little thing we do (annoyingly so) and I can't have my brood thinking making snarky comments at the biggest loser show while stuffing our faces with popcorn is the way to go. Nor can I have a crappy marriage because my husband and I have gotten away from the basics in life and think that making purchases or plain old laziness is rewarding. I have no official credentials to offer anyone. I am a stay at home mom who weighs the exact same as I did when I was fourteen. I have run two marathons, I don't consider myself a runner and don't really like it. I was a little pig while pregnant all three times and gained lots of weight and lost it all each time. Each one was a c-section. I breastfed each kid for a year. That's me in a nutshell.

The husband was really fit at one point in time. He became a dad, worked 80 hour weeks traveled four months out of the year, ate out all the time, got high cholesterol, clogged his carotid artery to the point of a "59 year old man" as the doctor put it, and jacked up his gall bladder so now it works at 20%. He's getting healthy, is not on meds, and has a half Ironman in the works. He still travels and eats out. He's learned how to do it, it CAN be done.

This is us. We hope to have our little endeavor up and running in the next month. We don't want to be preachy, but when 66.7% of Americans are overweight or obese we can at least share what works for our family and send people in the right direction. It starts at home with your family, no where else.




1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Hey, we wish you lots of luck in your endeavours. Dave has a great book that might help with the training, i will get the name for you