Friday, April 23, 2010

Thank you friends, so yeah its a little cheesey

There is that country song with a lyric that goes something like "you find out who your friends are..." and then goes on about when the caca hits the fan you see people's true colors. This past month has really shown me people's true colors. Before I was a stay at home mom I never hung around many girls. Granted I had some really great girl friends in high school, my very fun friend at MU, my dear dear friend I met in Germany, and my favorite movie watching gal in Vegas, but I was just more comfortable around dudes. All of that changed when I had the boy and decided to stay home. I knew I just couldn't sit in my house by myself, that I was going to have to find friends. I must say it is hard for me to talk to new people and it was REALLY hard for me to talk to women. I never felt like I have that much in common with girls since I don't do crafts, can't stand to cook (but I still do it!) and prefer to run, hike, and um whatever else it is that I do. Plus, it's so much easier to talk to a guy. But I went ahead and spoke to a mom at baby storytime (which is what brand new mommies with one kid do, but once you got three all that cute baby activity goes out the window!) and she pointed me in the direction of a moms group and six years later I have friends!!! Friends that are girls even! Friends that love cooking and crafts and I STILL have lots in common with them.

After Bud died, and I kind of started shutting down, I found out what great friends I really have, some emails, texts, phone calls, you know even facebook well wishing made my day. This week baby girl and ham had surgery and I had the same great people check in on me, one amazing person even tried to cook me lasagna! I am not that great of a phone talker, generally if you call me I'll talk but for whatever reason I have a hard time picking up the phone. I am so happy that I have a few ladies I can count on when I need a friend to vent with, somebody to watch my kids, send me really long emails that are emotional but I love them because of that, to hang out in London with me, and when I am in a serious funk knows when to text and invite me hiking.

So thank you friends near and far, you have been helping me get through some crap, helping me with my surgery anxiety, and just being there for me. I hope I can return to the favor to you.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh hon, how'd I miss your daughter had surgery? I'm so sorry! I would have sent a note! Or...you did mention something and I apologize. How's she doing?

EatPlayLove said...

You always return the favor. I'm missing our hike this morning. I hope next week is on.

bernthis said...

I hope everything went well. You and I are alot alike. I don't craft, I hate to cook. I much prefer to be out, doing atheletic stuff, hanging out with friends...

When my ex left, most of our friends disappeared from both of our lives. I had to totally rebuild and thankfully, bc/ of the blogworld, I have found some virtual and some real life friends that give me so much love and support, I am so grateful