Friday, September 3, 2010

Mr. Glenn Beck you are a poopy head. There I said it.

I can't figure out this obsession with this guy, Glenn Beck. Or Sarah Palin. Or the whole Tea Party thing. Granted I haven't been to one of the rallies, but I have seen Mr. Beck and Mrs. Palin speak enough on television to have a pretty good idea about what they stand for when they start blathering. I have also seen and read articles about the Tea Party events around the nation and while I am sure the media picks out the most sensational one liners from the events, I feel as though I am getting the general vibe. To me that vibe feels like hate. I mean, it is a rather sad state of affairs when good ole Dubya seems like the sane one in the bunch. I think what bothers me so much is that these individuals and producers of such events are selling lies, hate, and fear and a whole lot of people are buying into it. I mean a whole lot, especially if you think that Mr. Beck's estimates from last weekend's rally are true.

I keep hearing things like, "take back this nation." Take it back from whom? The democratically elected government? Who has it? A President? The Democrats in Congress? We the people. Stonewalling Republicans? Or do large corporations "have" it? Do terrorists? This idea that somehow something was stolen from "us" drives me crazy. I was not a fan of how the previous administration was running things so I cast my ballot for change. I for one, think that Obama is actually doing a pretty good job with what was handed over to him.

It seems to me that Beck, Palin, et al. prefer to ignore the deficit the Republican Party racked up with a pointless war, but love to point out money when it goes to helping people. They seem to ignore that no American committed the horrible acts of 9-11, but they would like to insinuate that all Muslims are terrorists, and therefor American Muslims are unworthy of a place of worship in a location they desire. That somehow if Obama were to be a Muslim and not Christian that would somehow be horrible and awful. The husband works with a Muslim woman who has told him she is praying for little Ham. What is wrong with that? She has every right to her beliefs, as do I.

I am a Christian, but I do not like to be associated with this hate filled branding of Christianity I see being utilized for a political goal. I, personally, am a fan of the first amendment and would not want a government telling me how to practice Christianity. That somehow I am less of a Christian because I don't want the government controlling my uterus, involved in my marriage, and certainly not in my relationship with my creator is preposterous. That I am evil because I am a Liberal. Beck stated that Obama practices Liberation Theology and whether or not that is true I am not sure, but then he stated people don't recognize that form of Christianity. Here is a wiki definition:Liberation theology is a movement in Christian theology which interprets the teachings of Jesus Christ in terms of a liberation from unjust economic, political, or social conditions. It has been described by proponents as "an interpretation of Christian faith through the poor's suffering, their struggle and hope, and a critique of society and the Catholic faith and Christianity through the eyes of the poor", and by detractors as Christianity influenced by Marxism and Communism.


Call me a Marxist or Communist, but what exactly is wrong with helping the poor? Now, I don't understand a lot of the Catholic church's beliefs but I don't have a problem with Catholics so I don't subscribe to that idea of this theology, but if you stop and think about what Jesus was saying and doing it's hard to argue that helping the poor and and calling out injustices when you see them is a anti-Christian thing to do.

So Mr. Beck, please I don't want any part of that America you are envisioning, where as long as your first amendment rights are protected screw all the other Americans with vastly different beliefs. I want no part of it! And Mrs. Palin, I love my kids and would be just as fierce as a Grizzly bear to protect them, but for you to insinuate that women can just instinctually feel out a candidate is stupid. This woman has a brain and prefers to do a little research. So yes, you two and all of your fans have the right to say what you want, but please don't pervert people's faith to spew hate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do have conservative views, but I am not a fan of Glenn Beck. He, Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh embarass me when it comes to conservative views. I hate it when Liberals/Democrats think EVERY conservative is a racist or a fundamentalist Christian. That drives me crazy. Or they automatically assume we are fans of these boobs. This scenario of the Tea Party reminds me of the protestors we had with Bush, but the general media never wanted to criticize that. To me, they are biased. Yes, nothing wrong with helping poor people, but I don't believe in supporting them. Everyone needs a little lift now and then, but then they are responsible for getting their life together. - Melissa